Thursday 6 December 2007

Phishing bleeped

I was phished last month. Bastards. They managed to whip £50 out of my account before the Co-op noticed and cancelled my card. I only noticed when I had my card rejected ordering some train tickets online and I then checked my bank account. Luckily, my card was stopped before INDIRECT TELE SERV also tried to take a grand out of my account, that'll teach me to click on a link in an email. Anyway, the point of this entry is not to bore with tales of my financial troubles but more about the Co-op's complete lack of knowledge of electronic music. On phoning my bank after checking my account, and agreeing money had been stolen, my customer service operator asked if, other than the unknown payment to INDIRECT TELE SERV, whether Warp Records was a genuine company! (I'm a fairly regular customer of Bleep, Warp's download store). Fine I thought, this guy's not into Big Dada releases, fair enough. But then when he put me through to their fraud department they asked me exactly the same question. Then, today, I got a form to fill in from the Co-op and again, it asked me if money going out of my account to Warp Records was a genuine purchase. I wouldn't mind but the Co-op are based in Manchester, a stones throw across the Peak District from Sheffield, for Cabaret Voltaire's sake!

No comments: